Greater UPSTATE NEW YORK ibl Consortium
For the past several years, a group of professors in upstate New York have been meeting to share experiences related to the use of Inquiry Based Learning in their mathematics classes. Together with funding from the Educational Advancement Foundation, they have built upon this community in new and profound ways. They invite you to see what is happening in their area, and how you may join in and get involved!
- Support for your IBL experience. There are gatherings such as dinner meetings, or e-mail conversations to discuss all aspects of teaching IBL: planning, initial implementation, daily workings of the classroom, and writing of course notes.
- Mentoring for those who want a personal connection to another IBL practitioner. This allows for a supportive network to exchange ideas between the more experienced and novice users.
- Workshops to help develop IBL skills and practices. These workshops are usually aligned with the MAA Seaway Meetings.
- Open Classrooms of IBL practitioners in our area. The aspect of classroom visitation can be very enriching, regardless of personal experience or comfort level with IBL. We coordinate visits with one or more professors using IBL in their classrooms.
- Funding is available to support our IBL community. We can fund mentors and mentees with classroom visitations if needed, or to attend a Seaway Section meeting. Our funding also allows for the numerous activities listed above, and for additional personal projects upon request.
- For more information and to join our consortium at any time, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come Join Us!
We have many opportunities for getting together to continue the IBL conversations. See announcements below
dinner meeting: buffalo
We're planning an informal dinner meeting on Tuesday, April 18, at 6:00pm. We'll meet at Hyderabad Biryani House Restaurant at 5445 Transit Rd., Williamsville, NY. If you know in advance that you'd like to come, please e-mail Jane Cushman at cushmajr at buffalostate dot edu. If you can't give advanced notice, you're still welcome!
The topic of the dinner meeting is ... whatever you want! We'll certainly talk about our classes, how the semester is shaping up, and share some ideas. But we'll also talk about whatever else is on our mind. So, come and get to know some other people!